Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cottage Pie

As I was driving home from the woods earlier this week, having had a lovely hour long walk, with my dogs Hedley and Moglie. I noticed that the mornings previously beautiful blue sky, was fast disappearing behind dark storm clouds. As the day darkened and the wind picked up the day changed  from a lovely, sun-filled, fresh winters day to something dark, depressing and formidable. 
This rapid change in the weather made me crave comfort food.  I decided to go home light a fire and make myself something delicious for dinner. 

I rarely eat red meat these days, as anyone who reads my blog will know, however, occasionally I crave it, and that usually initiates a trip to my local Whole Foods store, where I can find grass-fed organic meat. 

I hate buying ready prepared minced meat, I never trust what has actually gone into the mince. And as my Kitchen Aid stand mixer has an attachment that grinds meat, I'm easily able to mince it myself. 

I was really craving "cottage pie" like my Grandmother used to make. There's nothing better on a bitterly cold winters day. I remember coming home from school on a cold day and smelling this baking in the oven, the whole house smelt so delicious. Although I should add here that I have made a few additions of my own to Nan's original recipe.

For the meat I usually prefer to use Flank steak, it's an inexpensive, rather fatty joint of beef, that does really well in this dish. You could also use ground lamb if you prefer, or even a mix of both.



COTTAGE PIE.

INGREDIENTS
8 Potatoes, large, peeled and large diced.
3 Medium Yellow Onions, medium diced.
4 ounces unsalted butter.
4 Medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/2" slices.
4 Celery stalks, chopped into 1/2" slices.
4 Parsnips, peeled and medium diced.
1 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and halved.
4 ounces frozen peas.
1 tablespoon Olive Oil.
1 1/2 pounds minced meat (either beef or lamb).   * You can subsistutue with Quorn for the meat to make it a vegetarian meal*
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme, finely chopped.
1 tablespoon Rosemary finely chopped.
1 teaspoon chili flakes.
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce.
1/2 litre Organic Beef stock.
2 tablespoon corn starch.
1 cup good red wine.
2 tablespoons heavy cream.
1 cup (8 ounces) Cheddar cheese, grated.
Sea Salt & freshly Ground Black Pepper

 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

 In a large saucepan bring water to the boil, add salt and potatoes and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. 
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan cook the onions in one ounce of the butter until soft; add the carrots, celery and parsnips, stir to mix and sauté for about 5 - 6 minutes, or until vegetables are just starting to soften. 
Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes until lightly browned. 
Add the peas and stir in (no need to cook the peas at this point) 
Remove the vegetables to a large heatproof bowl and set aside in a warm place. 
Using the same sauté pan, add the olive oil, when hot add the meat and cook until lightly brown. 
Add thyme, Rosemary, chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. 
Add all but 2 tablespoons of the beef stock to the meat and stir. 
Mix the 2 tablespoons of beef stock with the corn starch and stir into the meat. 
Stir in the red wine and let simmer over a gentle heat for 10 minutes. 
Meanwhile drain and mash the potatoes in a large bowl with the rest of the butter and cream. Mix well until all lumps are gone and the potatoes are smooth and creamy, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. 

TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH

In a large (14" x 10") casserole dish add all the vegetables and meat, stir well to mix, (taste a little for seasoning) if necessary add a little more salt & pepper. Cover the entire dish with the mashed potato, creating an even layer over the vegetables, generously sprinkle the cheese over the potatoes and place in the middle of the oven for 40 - 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown. 

 This serves 6 - 8 people. 

Cooks Note: All meat and vegetables are Organic, The dish may be frozen (once completely cooled) and kept in the freezer for 1 - 3 months. if frozen, defrost throughly before baking, defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating. This is not a quick dish to prepare, but its well worth the effort and reheats well, so it's a dish easily made ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment