Thursday, July 28, 2011

Green is always good

I love discovering new recipes, especially when I stumble across them by accident.  Last night I made my crispy seaweed, which is basically just deep fried, thinly sliced collard greens, served with my special seasoning.

The trouble is when frying seaweed the fat flies everywhere, literally.  Mum and I had to wash the kitchen floor this morning, as it was so slippery from all the splattered oil.

"Please don't cook that again" Mum pleaded with me, this morning, and I wondered what I was going to do with all the shredded collard greens I had left in the fridge.  Not wanting to waste the greens, I racked my brains for a tasty recipe that I could use them in.
 
I decided to simply saute them in a little butter with the seasoning I had prepared... it took 5 minutes to prepare and WOW it was absolutely delicious.  I served them with potato wedges and sauteed duck breast with a plum sauce.

Mary's Sweet Greens

Bunch of Collard greens
1 ounce unsalted butter
1 tbsp fine sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground chili powder



With a sharp knife remove the stalk from the greens, leaving the leaves intact. Lay the leaves one on top the other and roll into a cigar shape like a sausage, then slice very thinly.
Heat the butter in a saute pan, as soon as the butter stops sizzling, immediately add the shredded collard greens and saute for 2 minutes.
Mix the sugar, cinnamon, salt and chili in a dish and stir well, pour over the greens and stir to distribute throughout the greens, and serve immediately.
This really was delicious
Do try it...
Don't be fooled by the appearance, this is delicious.


Enjoy :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment